Pages

Writing My New Chapter

6.23.2012

Rainy Day Readings

Books for Rainy Summer Days
   So many great summer reads highlighted in  magazines and Sunday newspapers. Which one do I pick to read first?   One book came to haunt me as I read the reviews on  WILD by Cheryl Strayed. 
     WILD is  a memoir about death of a parent and how it changed the writer/daughter/wife role of  Ms. Strayed, the author.  As I started the book, the thought of hiking the Pacific Trail from Mexico to Canada sounded crazy.  Not because a single women did this alone (we can achieve whatever we set our minds to) but the sheer commitment to months in the wilderness is too Wild for me. 
     BUT the first chapter had me crying.   The grief from the death of her mother and recent reality of the death of my father, who died of cancer in September 2012.  The two of them, different in age yet, thirty five days from discovery of cancer to death.
           A big question swelled out from my heart:  Will we ever find a cure for the many type of cancers?   Not many of us can say we don't know someone with cancer OR know someone who has died from cancer.   Is it the preservatives in food?  effects from war zone chemical exposures?  BGH (bovine growth hormone)?  How many things can you name that may be causing cancer?

     Pick up this book.... It is a great summer read!


Also, pick up or order online the book-   The Triggering Town  lectures and essays on poetry and writing by Richard Hugo   W.W. Norton & Company New York 1979

Poetry can help a writer become a better writer but does a writer become a better writer with or without being a reader?   Pick up the book and share the view points of the author or NOT! 

Another Great summer read for writers and authors!
                   

        

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a perfect post for such a rainy day! I enjoyed reading it, and your blog looks wonderful!